[K12OSN] Sound problems

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Wed Aug 24 20:53:43 UTC 2011

On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 4:20 PM, Jomegat <jomegat at jomegat.com> wrote:

>> For example, I don't have the hardware here to be able to test LTSP
>> cluster capability, so I may pay LTSP upstream to implement, test and
>> document LTSP cluster for K12Linux.
>>

> What do you mean by "LTSP cluster capability?"  Multiple terminal servers?
>  What would you need to gain that capability?

Think about a number of servers in a closet that are ready to answer a PXE
boot request and join any client to the network that asks. There's a couple
of ways I was approaching this post APS-project:

1. multiple servers providing the DHCP/PXE capabilities with no load
balancing at all. So which ever server answered first would take the client
(only works in pairs and is rather a network noise problem).

2. multiple LTSP servers with a single (or failover pair of) DHCP/PXE
server(s) that would load balance based on feedback from the LTSP servers.
This would allow for a much larger stack of servers for the LTSP side and
the ability to do enterprise things like NAS/SAN/Fiber Channel storage, etc.
Also allows for hardware replacement with minimal downtime for clients -
tell dhcp server to not use a system then send a reboot to the clients (in
between classes).

3. Cluster the servers using a "big" tool like OpenSSI, Mosix, or Kerrighed.
This is the opposite of taking a big machine and splitting it out into
smaller virtual machines. It takes a bunch of physical machines and creates
a single, large virtual machine with many processors and lots of ram. The
cat's meow of this is the ability to migrate processes from a failing
hardware node in order to fix it. Additionally, physical nodes that are not
maxed out can take load automatically to do node-wise load balancing. Plus
it's way cool for kids to be able to say they use a supercomputer every day
at school :-)

James P. Kinney III

- *2011 Noam Chomsky

http://heretothereideas.blogspot.com/