[K12OSN] Local Apps and Firefox 6

Jomegat jomegat at jomegat.com
Sun Aug 28 15:11:56 UTC 2011

Hi everyone,

I'm planning to run Firefox as a local application and I'm looking for
some advice.  First I tried following the instructions at
https://fedorahosted.org/k12linux/wiki/LocalAppsSupport

but when I got to the yum part, there was no joy:

[root at termserv i386]# setarch i386 chroot .
bash-4.1# yum install firefox
Error: Cannot retrieve repository metadata (repomd.xml) for repository:
epel. Please verify its path and try again

I thought - maybe I need to run ltsp-server-tweaks, since I do not
recall having run that when I last rebooted (but everything seemed to
work then, so... I dunno?)

Here's what happens when I try running that:
[root at termserv ~]# ltsp-server-tweaks
Failed to access configuration source(s): Failed to contact
configuration server; some possible causes are that you need to enable
TCP/IP networking for ORBit, or you have stale NFS locks due to a system
crash. See http://projects.gnome.org/gconf/ for information. (Details -
  1: Not running within active session)

Hmmm.  Not sure what all that means.

I tried all this while remotely logged in, as Tropical Storm Irene might
make it a bit dodgy to get to the school (or get home afterwards).  I
don't think that's significant, but just in case it is, I'm disclosing
it here.

My next thought was that maybe I should try FF 6 instead of 3.6 (which
is what yum will install).  Is there a reason I should avoid that?

Thanks in advance!

Jim Thomas            jomegat at jomegat.com
Dyslexics of the world, UNTIE!