[K12OSN] when running ltsp-server-tweaks

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Wed Aug 31 12:23:05 UTC 2011

Bear in mind that blocking direct root login to X and gdm was implemented
because of the huge security issues exposed. X already runs with many root
privileges due to how X interacts with the hardware layer. Opening pam to
allow root login from terminals is flat out dangerous as the security of the
password process over the network is an exposure that's not balanced by the
convenience. With the exception of gconf editing now requiring an active X
session to work, there is no reason for root to ever login anywhere except
the actual console of the server and only at the command line.
Current Linux distros basically should never have a need for direct root
login unless the system is being put into single user mode for repairs.