[K12OSN] Flash sound gone? SOLVED

Jeff Siddall news at siddall.name
Thu Aug 11 20:20:24 UTC 2011

On 08/11/2011 11:29 AM, Jeff Siddall wrote:
> Interesting. I guess alsa is mucked up somehow.

Alsa defaults do _not_ route alsa clients through PA even if PA has
grabbed PCM device.  Would be nice if it checked for that.

Anyway, the system installed with an /etc/asound.conf file (which is not
owned by any package BTW) which somehow got removed.  I restored it from
a backup and that got alsa clients working again.

In case anyone cares, here is what asound.conf contains:

#
# Place your global alsa-lib configuration here...
#

@hooks [
         {
                 func load
                 files [
                         "/etc/alsa/pulse-default.conf"
                 ]
                 errors false
         }
]

and /etc/alsa/pulse-default.conf contains:

# PulseAudio plugin configuration
# $Id: pulse-default.conf,v 1.3 2008/03/09 15:50:49 lkundrak Exp $

# Let's create a virtual device "pulse" for mixer and PCM

pcm.pulse {
     type pulse
     hint {
         description "PulseAudio Sound Server"