[K12OSN] Why PA system mode?

Jeff Siddall news at siddall.name
Fri Aug 12 18:12:56 UTC 2011

Anyone know why the clients run pulseaudio in system mode?  Here's an
excerpt from the client system log:

Aug  9 09:12:06 client-192 pulseaudio[1740]: main.c: OK, so you are
running PA in system mode. Please note that you most likely shouldn't be
doing that.
Aug  9 09:12:06 client-192 pulseaudio[1740]: main.c: If you do it
nonetheless then it's your own fault if things don't work as expected.
Aug  9 09:12:06 client-192 pulseaudio[1740]: main.c: Please read
http://pulseaudio.org/wiki/WhatIsWrongWithSystemMode for an explanation
why system mode is usually a bad idea

I did read http://pulseaudio.org/wiki/WhatIsWrongWithSystemMode and sure
enough they say it is there for stuff like thin clients.  However, the
reasons for it are really not that good: we _do_ have a real user, and
things like home directories typically _aren't_ flushed on each session
termination.

Further, since PA is really designed to be run as a user, could we
remove some headache by not having it tun in system mode (ie: not have
to fixup permissions etc.)?

The reason I am interested is that it appears system mode causes
problems with some pulse stuff like pulseaudio-equalizer.

Thanks,

Jeff