[K12OSN] New EL6 install

James A. Peltier jpeltier at sfu.ca
Fri Aug 26 19:59:20 UTC 2011

----- Original Message -----
| On 08/26/2011 03:05 PM, Les Mikesell wrote:
| > On Fri, Aug 26, 2011 at 1:46 PM, Jomegat<jomegat at jomegat.com> wrote:
| >
| >> I did see some really strange things during the initial setup. The
| >> real
| >> head-scratcher was that I bought a managed switch on eBay a while
| >> back and
| >> decided to try it out here. It was to replace the 10/100 switch
| >> between my
| >> TC's and terminal server. The new switch has 24 10/100 ports and a
| >> pair of
| >> gigE ports. The new switch appears to work in every regard except -
| >> no TC
| >> can boot through it. For now I am stuck with my old 10/100 switch.
| >> The
| >> managed switch is a Dell PowerConnect 3024 (if memory serves), so
| >> if anyone
| >> knows how to coax that into working between a cluster of TC's and a
| >> terminal
| >> server, I'm all ears.
| >
| > Switches are supposed to do a spanning-tree check as new nodes
| > appear
| > and may block for 30 seconds or so - which may be long enough for a
| > PXE boot attempt to time out and restart the cycle. Look for a
| > command to do 'rapid' spanning tree or to forward while learning.
| >

| Thanks! I have never used a managed switch before, so this is all new
| to me. I'll look for that.

Different switches use different terms as well, you might see portfast (Cisco), client (Dell), other (Other) so read your documentation for your switch to determine how to properly set up Spanning Tree.  We've been forced to set our CISCO switches to portfast for PXE to work, but our HPs don't have this issue.

--
James A. Peltier
IT Services - Research Computing Group
E-Mail  : jpeltier at sfu.ca
Website : http://www.sfu.ca/itservices
          http://blogs.sfu.ca/people/jpeltier
I will do the best I can with the talent I have