[K12OSN] when running ltsp-server-tweaks

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Mon Aug 29 21:49:41 UTC 2011

gconftool-2 requires that the gconfd be runing. But as a non-root user, you
can't edit the /etc/gconf file space. So....

boot the server but DON'T login at the gui screen. Instead, hit ctl-alt-f2
and get a normal terminal shell instead. Login as root.

now run: telinit 3

This will stop the X login process

now run startx

And you'll (eventually) get a X screen (and a scary warning that you're
logged in as root.., bad things.., fire breathing dragons, etc). _NOW_ open
a terminal window and run the ltsp-server-tweaks command and it will not
barf errors.

log out of the X session and run telinit 5 to restart the normal X login
screen

alt-f7 should put you back on the correct screen for X. Login as a normal
user. Open a terminal and run gconf-editor
and look under desktop->gnome->lockdown and you should see that
"disable_user_switching" is now checked. If you try and uncheck it, you'll
get an error message that it's not writeable.

Yay!

On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 9:48 PM, Matthew Carter
<redbranchwarrior at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi. I'm running freshly installed CENT-OS 6.0 on a Dell PE 2850 following
> directions  from the install guide. I get to the point of running
> ltsp-server-tweaks, and I receive this error:
>
> "Failed to access configuration source(s): Failed to contact configuration
> server; some possible causes are that you need to enable TCP/IP networking
> for ORBit, or you have stale NFS locks due to a system crash."
>
> I have restarted the installation, reloaded the OS from scratch. Has anyone
> seen this?
>
> V/r,
>
> Matthew

James P. Kinney III