[K12OSN] iptables gurus

Barry R Cisna brcisna at eazylivin.net
Tue Dec 20 22:06:24 UTC 2011

Hello ALL,

Curious if anyone on the list here would have any ideas on this . This
is not really K12LTSP specific, but I thought possibly there may be
someone here that lives and breathes iptables.

On my K12LTSP server (at home) I also run asterisk on the same server.
I also have a Vonage phone as well "behind" the Centos 5 server as
well.

Anyways voice quality is fine on both my asterisk phones as well as my
Vonage phone, unless someone is downloading off of the ftp server I have
running on this server. Once the downloading occurs I can hear the
caller fine but they can no longer hear me at all.

I am not sure after reading many many posts from various sip/voip sites
that the native iptables is capable of doing QoS? I tried the following
config from a voip site but it didn't make any changes to voice going
out at download time. I only get about 245kb upload and 3 MB down BTW. I
am in the sticks.

/sbin/iptables -A OUTPUT -t mangle -p udp -m udp --sport 4569 -j DSCP
--set-dscp-class ef
/sbin/iptables -A OUTPUT -t mangle -p udp -m udp --sport 10000:20000 -j DSCP --set-dscp-class ef
/sbin/iptables -A OUTPUT -t mangle -p udp -m udp --sport 5060 -j DSCP --set-dscp-class ef

Thanks,
Barry