Re: [K12OSN] pxe wifi k12ltsp

That's the holy grail of tc computing. However wireless protocols don't support pxe boot. Add to that, most wireless nics require some firmware loading to function and things look grim.
What does work is a micro-distro that has what would be pxe-boot loaded anyway as kernel plus remote mount root back to the tc server.

On Dec 8, 2011 8:39 AM, "Barry Cisna" <cisna-barry wc235 k12 il us> wrote:
Hello All,

Call me nuts.
Has anyone thought of any ideas on integrating pxe into either the bios
of a TC mobo to interface with the onboard wifi chip or possibly an usb
wifi dongle and dump pxe firmware onto it?
I would think someone smarter than I have thought of this
implementation.
Here is what my insane idea is:

1) wifi firmware that on boot searches for any open AP then
transparently connects to 'strongest signal' AP.
1a) at this point the wifi interface has obtained a valid ip for the
lan.
2) once connected to an ip address the pxe boot standard kicks in.
3) k12ltsp boots as though it is wired

#4) The above could be a boot sequence option for example in the bios
setup.Possibly labeled ' wifi/pxe' boot,,,:)

I know everyone will say wireless TC's will be a slug,but it does seem
that this scenario should be possible,for someone that is familiar with
hacking bios/firmware images. This is of course AFTER spending countless
hours and all nighters making it actually happen.
Flame suit on...

Thanks,
Barry