[K12OSN] Any New K12LTSP deployments

Terrell Prude' Jr. microman at cmosnetworks.com
Tue Jan 18 17:50:26 UTC 2011

Jeff Siddall wrote:
> On 01/17/2011 03:18 PM, Tim Born wrote:
>
>> On 1/17/11 1:18 PM, Jeff Siddall wrote:
>>

>>> Perhaps start by letting them know that the power savings obtained from
>>> switching from a typical desktop PCs to typical fanless thin clients
>>> will pay for the entire system -- all $10,000 -- in the next 5 years!
>>>
>>> Jeff
>>>
>> My knee-jerk reaction to that statement was "no way!".  Then I dug up my
>> kill-a-watt and measured some of my clients.  The worst one costs me
>> $190/yr in electricity (assuming 7x24).  That would put Jeff's statement
>> well within reach across 30 machines & 5 years.
>>
>> -tim
>>

> Yeah, perhaps I should have done the math in my original post.
> Depending on the scenario the payback can be a _lot_ faster.  Here's a
> sample:
>
> Typical desktop PC power consumption: 100 W
> Fanless thin client (Intel D410PT) power consumption: 24 W
> Cost of thin client: $143*
> Cost of electricity: $0.11/kWh (conveniently this works out to $1 per
> watt per year so you can impress people by doing the math in your head!)
> Cost of electricity per year (24/7) for desktop PC: $100
> Cost of electricity per year (24/7) for thin client: $24
> Electricity saving per year (24/7) per thin client: $76
>
> Client payback time on electricity savings: 1.9 years
>
> ...and that doesn't include the HVAC savings etc.
>
> With numbers like that (not to mention the "green" reasons) there is
> really no business case for using/re-using fat desktops as clients.
>
> * Here's the parts for the thin client ($19+$54+$70 = $143):
> http://www.shoprbc.com/ca/shop/product_details.php?pid=59176
> http://www.shoprbc.com/ca/shop/product_details.php?pid=61979
> http://www.shoprbc.com/ca/shop/product_details.php?pid=54088
>
> Jeff

Just more "ammunition" to the notion that a thin client architecture is
a good idea and not at all "outdated".  I know of one such system in the
mountains of Peru.  Since there's no electricity provided way up there
by the utility company, they power the whole "Internet cafe" with solar
panels and a satellite uplink.  Obviously, this is done only during
sunlight hours, and it's not like they've got Gig-E uplinks, but hey,
they've got Internet!  Results like that say a lot to me.

--TP