[K12OSN] Any New K12LTSP deployments

Jeff Siddall news at siddall.name
Mon Jan 17 19:18:22 UTC 2011

On 01/17/2011 12:38 PM, Seema Ali wrote:
> My lab is a regular 30 student computers  + 1 teacher computer.
>
> Normally I would agree with you, that $10 000 could upgrade a new lab,
> but our school district has restrictions on the types of computers we
> can purchase.  We have a choice of 2 at a fixed price with upgrade
> options.  =[

Are these computers diskless thin clients or just normal desktops?  If
they are normal desktops I recommend you go back and get the computer
restrictions adjusted before proceeding, or switch to a different
technology like DRBL.  Desktop computers are large, noisy, hot,
expensive, unreliable things that tend not to make sense when deployed
as clients in an LTSP environment.

Perhaps start by letting them know that the power savings obtained from
switching from a typical desktop PCs to typical fanless thin clients
will pay for the entire system -- all $10,000 -- in the next 5 years!

Jeff