[K12OSN] New Building's LTSP Server -- NEW WRINKLE

Joseph Bishay joseph.bishay at gmail.com
Tue Jul 5 04:28:29 UTC 2011

Hello everyone,

I hope you are all doing well and had an enjoyable long weekend.

A few weeks back I received some excellent advice with regards to
setting up a new LTSP network in our new elementary school building.
I had already sourced out the parts and was just about to order them
when a donation arrived at my door!  I received 5 servers with the
following specifications:

1) One Proliant DL580 G3 4U rackmount server (2 Dual-Xeon (4 threads
total) running at 3 Ghz.
2) FOUR Super p4DP8-G2 2U rackmount servers (Each has 2 Dual-core Xeon
(4 threads total) running at 2.40 Ghz, 512 KB cache, 4 GB RAM (max is
64 GB) with Adaptec 2010s RAID controller and hot-swappable drives.

So I wanted to mention these machines to see if I can utilize them for
our LTSP network if possible, or should I stick with my original plan
which was using another machine that we have:

Intel i5 with 12 GB RAM, PCI-E SSD boot drive, Raid 1 SATA drives for /home

Granted the newly donated machines are all server-grade, with
redundant power supplies, etc as compared to the i5 which is a custom
desktop build.

We need to power about 65 thin clients in the new building -- and for
many in the building this will be the first foray into Linux (which
they are nervous about) so I want the setup to wow them.

Thanks very much!

Joseph