Re: [K12OSN] New Building's LTSP Server -- NEW WRINKLE

On 7/4/2011 11:28 PM, Joseph Bishay wrote:
Hello everyone,

I hope you are all doing well and had an enjoyable long weekend.

A few weeks back I received some excellent advice with regards to
setting up a new LTSP network in our new elementary school building.
I had already sourced out the parts and was just about to order them
when a donation arrived at my door!  I received 5 servers with the
following specifications:

1) One Proliant DL580 G3 4U rackmount server (2 Dual-Xeon (4 threads
total) running at 3 Ghz.
2) FOUR Super p4DP8-G2 2U rackmount servers (Each has 2 Dual-core Xeon
(4 threads total) running at 2.40 Ghz, 512 KB cache, 4 GB RAM (max is
64 GB) with Adaptec 2010s RAID controller and hot-swappable drives.

So I wanted to mention these machines to see if I can utilize them for
our LTSP network if possible, or should I stick with my original plan
which was using another machine that we have:

Intel i5 with 12 GB RAM, PCI-E SSD boot drive, Raid 1 SATA drives for /home

Granted the newly donated machines are all server-grade, with
redundant power supplies, etc as compared to the i5 which is a custom
desktop build.

We need to power about 65 thin clients in the new building -- and for
many in the building this will be the first foray into Linux (which
they are nervous about) so I want the setup to wow them.

I've forgotten the topology you need, but that sounds like a nice match for running one box as a home directory and LDAP server and a set of desktop servers each with a smaller number of clients. The desktop servers can either be dedicated per-classroom with a 2-NIC arrangement (simple, but no failover) or a flat network where the dhcp service balances the connections (but you'd have more bandwidth contention). If you do it right the desktop servers would all be interchangeable and even in the 2-NIC scenario you could keep one as a spare that could be swapped in to replace any of the others.

Not sure if anyone has tried it, but I'd think ClearOS would make a good home directory/LDAP server without much extra setup work, and it could also provide email and web services if you want them.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell gmail com