[K12OSN] Laser Printer super-slow?

Joseph Bishay joseph.bishay at gmail.com
Sun Jun 19 19:15:27 UTC 2011

Hello,

I hope everyone is doing well this weekend.

We have an HP Laserjet 2100 plugged into a thin client via a parallel
port in our computer lab, and it works nearly perfectly.  Our only
issue is that it takes a VERY LONG TIME TO PRINT!  Any sort of PDF
takes more than 20 minutes before the entire document prints.  The
first page usually comes out in OK time, but you will sit there
waiting while the 'printing' light flashes as it processes and then
eventually it will print.  This is for straight multi-page text PDFs
for example.

Any recommendations on how to speed up printing?  Printer details are:

CUPS driver: HP LaserJet 2100 Foomatic/pxlmono (recommended)

Print speed 	Up to 10 pages-per-minute
Paper input bin capacity 	Tray 1: 100 sheets of 20 lb Bond (80 g/m2)
paper, or 10 envelopes Tray 2/3: 250 sheets of 20 lb Bond (80 g/m2)
paper
Media Sizes 	Tray 1: minimum (custom) 76 by 127 mm (3 by 5 inches)
maximum (custom) 216 by 356 mm (8.5 by 14 inches)
Tray 2/3: Letter, Legal, A4, A5 and custom paper sizes
Base memory 	HP LaserJet 2100 printer: 4 MB of RAM
Print resolution 	1200 dpi for the best print quality 600 dpi for
complex graphics or faster output
Duty cycle 	Up to 15,000 pages per month

Thank you.
Joseph