[K12OSN] Laser Printer super-slow?

Joseph Bishay joseph.bishay at gmail.com
Mon Jun 27 02:24:11 UTC 2011

Hello,

>> Does plain text files print out quickly from this same printer?

A single page of text from notepad prints fairly quickly.  The problem
seems to focus around PDFs I believe as those are the only larger
documents I've printed.

> You might also run top locally on the client while something is printing
> to find out if the client is CPU/memory bound (ex: swapping) etc.

I sent a 200 page PDF (with some images, total size of the PDF 7 MB)
and ran top.  What I saw, over the *17 hours* it took to print 100
pages before it just crashed, was the cpu on the thin client not going
over 2% and no swap being touched.  It looked like it was printing a
page every 10 minutes or so, and then towards the last few pages the
CPU usage went up to 99% and then back down to zero once it was
finished.  The process was the jetdirect one I believe (don't have the
file in front of me).

So I'm not quite sure what the issue is.  The thin client is a Pentium
4 2.6 Ghz machine with a gig of RAM.

Thanks
Joseph