[K12OSN] Poll: Priorities?

Jeff Siddall news at siddall.name
Wed Jun 29 20:05:44 UTC 2011

On 06/20/2011 05:26 AM, Warren Togami Jr. wrote:
> https://fedorahosted.org/k12linux/wiki/EL6Status
>
> Poll: What features or bugs do people think are most important to fix
> first?
>
> (Fedora 14 Support: Fedora support is not a goal of K12Linux development
> for numerous reasons including: Fedora 14 updates ends in ~6 months, and
> Fedora 15 is almost incompatible with LTSP. That being said, if sponsors
> really want Fedora 14 supported then I'll bump up its priority. At least
> one sponsor commented that they wanted Fedora 14 support. It might take
> only 2-3 days to make it fully supported (but with the same bugs as EL6,
> ldm being the most obvious).)
>
> Warren

Fedora 14 support already exists.  I just upgrade a F13 LTSP system to
F14 using the http://www.dageek.co.uk/ltsp/ltsp.repo courtesy of Gavin
Spurgeon and did not have any issues.  I have not upgraded the chroot
yet, but the server side works great.  Definitely don't waste any time
on F14.

For me KDE4 support is a must.  My users all run it on F14 now and do
not want to "downgrade" to Gnome 2 :)

That being said I tried KDE in EL6 it and it seems to work as well in
LTSP as could be expected given that not everything works properly even
without LTSP!

There is something screwy with phonon as I get a boatload of "Unable to
use the GStreamer Multimedia Backend: The shared library was not found."
messages.

Also, the normal fusefs client filesystem stuff works fine, in the sense
that the client media is mounted on the server, but there is no
indication in KDE that this has happened via tie-in to the device
notifier etc.  That is no different from previous K12Linux, though it
would be nice to have.

Jeff