[K12OSN] Server sending excessive "GetProperty" requests

Jeff Siddall news at siddall.name
Sun Jun 12 05:48:24 UTC 2011

On 06/04/2011 07:00 PM, Jim Kinney wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 4, 2011 at 11:52 AM, Jeff Siddall <news at siddall.name
> <mailto:news at siddall.name>> wrote:
>
>     On 05/30/2011 12:21 PM, Jim Kinney wrote:
>     > Cosmic ray ionized air next to ram and caused a few bits to flip. ECC
>     > ram helps this but things can still go wonky.
>     > IBM did a study on cosmic ray damage to computer memory and they were
>     > astounded at the failure rate. That's why IBM servers have such thick
>     > metal cases made from steel and not aluminum.
>
>     Yeah but...
>
>     It is doing the exact same thing again today. Â Both server and clients
>     rebooted due to power outage since the last time. Â Odds of cosmic rays
>     hitting the exact same bits in RAM to cause the exact same issue a week
>     apart are poor enough that I think this is a bug.
>

> Or bad ram.

Maybe, but again, unlikely to happen exactly the same way twice.

> All clients or just one?

Just one... and that got me digging some more.  Turns out that
particular client had desktop effects enabled in KDE.  I have disabled
them and the problem appears to have gone away.

Does anyone run a compositing desktop in LTSP (KDE or otherwise)?  If
so, any issues?

Jeff