Re: [K12OSN] Poll: Priorities?

On Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 5:56 PM, Warren Togami Jr. <warren togami com> wrote:
On 6/20/2011 6:48 AM, Jim Kinney wrote:
I would be happy to provide some technical abilities to build/maintain a
client package with the needed modules for this. I'm looking at how to
use the kernel src.rpm or devel.rpm and create the needed binaries as
part of a package upgrade cycle automatically. It may be easier than I
thought to provide a kmod-nbd.rpm

There are other reasons to build an entirely new kernel instead of only the missing kernel modules.  We can slightly broaden the client hardware by making the client kernel not require PAE.  There are also driver bugs that can be fixed.

Thus a good reason to have a fairly automatic tool for a running system to build new kernels for clients when they become available.
PAE is pretty useless for an i586 system.

Warren