[K12OSN] Fedora 14 i686 non-PAE kernel with nbd

On 06/20/2011 08:12 PM, Warren Togami Jr. wrote:
On 6/20/2011 1:37 PM, Brian Fristensky wrote:
I'll elaborate on my reasons for wanting to use LTSP on Fedora 14,
because they speak to bigger issues. The short answer is: to buy time.

First, it looks like Fedora 15 will be a show-stopper for LTSP on
Fedora. I need
to upgrade from Fedora 13, so 14 is the only thing I can upgrade to. I
have already
gotten Warren's LTSP beta working on a Fedora 14 laptop with only a few
tweaks,
so upgrading my server buys me another 6 months of so before having to
make a
major decision about where to jump after Fedora 14.

BTW, what is wrong with EL6 server-side? It has OpenOffice 3.2.1, is
that adequate?

I'm experimenting now with building Fedora 14 /opt/ltsp/i386 on EL6
server. Given that Fedora 14 has an optional non-PAE i686 kernel with
nbd already built in, it might be a decent short-term solution until we
figure out the most sustainable long-term solution.

Warren Togami
warren togami com

ltsp-server-5.2.10-0.20110620.21.el6

Private beta members will find this version at the download site. After you upgrade, delete your /opt/ltsp/i386 then run:

ltsp-build-client --distro Fedora --release 14

This will build your /opt/ltsp/i386 from Fedora 14. It will be i686, non-PAE kernel with nbd, so network swap may work. I haven't tested nbdroot.

The same private beta download site has completely untested Fedora 14 ltsp-server. I made some theoretical tweaks that were needed, but haven't tested it.

I do not consider this to be an acceptable long-term solution for EL6, but if you need more thin client hardware compatibility *TODAY* this is a convenient stop-gap option for K12Linux EL6 admins.

Warren Togami
warren togami com