Re: [K12OSN] Laser Printer super-slow?

this doesn't sound like a thin client issue at all. Remember, everything is running on the server, not the client.

So a text file prints quickly but a complicated pdf fails.

So some things to look at are: what is the server using resource wise just before the failure? sysstat is a tool to monitor system usage. It can be tweaked in /etc/cron.d to run more frequently than every 10 minutes.

I would suggest testing with a less complicated (i.e. shorter) pdf. Make a page or two in openoffice or extract a few pages from the 200 page monster and try again. pdftools are a commandline option as well as just printing a few pages. 17+ hours sounds like a memory shortage to me. Sysstat will show disk usage in terms of swapfile activity.

Oh. The tool to view graphs of sysstat data is called sar. Uses java and outputs really useful graphs. excellent tool!

On Sun, Jun 26, 2011 at 10:24 PM, Joseph Bishay <joseph bishay gmail com> wrote:
Hello,

>> Does plain text files print out quickly from this same printer?

A single page of text from notepad prints fairly quickly.  The problem
seems to focus around PDFs I believe as those are the only larger
documents I've printed.

> You might also run top locally on the client while something is printing
> to find out if the client is CPU/memory bound (ex: swapping) etc.

I sent a 200 page PDF (with some images, total size of the PDF 7 MB)
and ran top.  What I saw, over the *17 hours* it took to print 100
pages before it just crashed, was the cpu on the thin client not going
over 2% and no swap being touched.  It looked like it was printing a
page every 10 minutes or so, and then towards the last few pages the
CPU usage went up to 99% and then back down to zero once it was
finished.  The process was the jetdirect one I believe (don't have the
file in front of me).

So I'm not quite sure what the issue is.  The thin client is a Pentium
4 2.6 Ghz machine with a gig of RAM.

Thanks
Joseph