[K12OSN] Gnome-panels missing on clients

Lars Schade lars.schade at berlin.de
Sat Mar 12 21:46:41 UTC 2011

SUCCESS, I finally got the ZBOX working with the gnome-panels visible
but have not done extensive testing to see whether absolutely everything
is functional (though it appears to be).

The problem was that the ZBOX falsely believes to be a notebook equipped
with an own LCD-screen. And that the vga-monitor I connect is only a
secondary external screen. So the key to getting the thing working is to
turn off the fictitious LCD-screen. After hours of testing I found the
following to work for me:

Add a client specific section in your lts.conf:

################
#[MAC ADDRESS]: ZBOX SD-ID10
################
[00:01:2E:BC:29:C3]
    XRANDR_OUTPUT_0="VGA1 --primary"
    XRANDR_MODE_0="1280x1024"
    XRANDR_OUTPUT_1="LVDS1 --off"
    XF86CONFIG_FILE="/etc/X11/xorg.conf.zbox"

The external VGA goes by the name VGA1 and the fictitious LCD by the
name LVDS1. So the LCD is turned off and the VGA is set as primary
device. This does the job for the login screen but the information is
somehow lost when the gnome session is started (I have no clue why).
Anyway, so you need to provide a client specific xorg.conf file. I
created one on the client by running X -configure and then modified it
to again turn off LVDS1. The file location is specified in chroot
notation, the real location is /opt/ltsp/i386/etc/X11/xorg.conf.zbox

Here is what I use:

Section "ServerLayout"
	Identifier     "X.org Configured"
	Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
	InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "Files"
	ModulePath   "/usr/lib/xorg/modules"
	FontPath     "catalogue:/etc/X11/fontpath.d"
	FontPath     "built-ins"
EndSection

Section "Module"
	Load  "record"
	Load  "dbe"
	Load  "dri"
	Load  "glx"
	Load  "dri2"
	Load  "extmod"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier  "Keyboard0"
	Driver      "kbd"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier  "Mouse0"
	Driver      "mouse"
	Option	    "Protocol" "auto"
	Option	    "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
	Option	    "ZAxisMapping" "4 5 6 7"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
	Identifier  "VGA"
	Option	    "PreferredMode"  "1280x1024"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
	Identifier   "LVDS"
	Option	     "Ignore"	"true"
EndSection

Section "Device"
	Identifier  "Card0"
	Driver      "intel"
	Option	    "monitor-VGA1"	"VGA"
	Option	    "monitor-LVDS1"	"LVDS"
	BusID       "PCI:0:2:0"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
	Identifier "Screen0"
	Device     "Card0"
	Monitor    "VGA"
	SubSection "Display"
		Viewport   0 0
		Depth     16
		Modes	  "1280x1024"
	EndSubSection
EndSection

The monitor, device, and screen section were adapted to do the job.

Thanks a lot to Jeff and Odin for sharing your knowledge and experience
and ideas !!!!!