[K12OSN] Gnome-panels missing on clients

Jeff Siddall news at siddall.name
Sun Mar 6 01:11:58 UTC 2011

On 03/05/2011 10:15 AM, Lars Schade wrote:
> Jeff,
>
> thanks for the info. I would like to give the ZBOX another try since
> only a detail seems to be missing.
>
> I was looking for the Xorg.0.log file but could not find it. Just to be
> sure, we are talking about the log of the xserver running on the TC?
> Where do I find this file? When I log into the TC I always see the file
> system and log files of the LTSP-server. How do I access the "inside" of
> the TC?

To find out what is happening on the client you need to get the
Xorg.whatever.log (note that "whatever" was in my case a "1") on the
client.  There are a few ways to do this.  I did it by setting up sshd
in the chroot so I could ssh to any client.  For that you need to
install and enable the sshd stuff as well as set a root password in the
chroot.  Other alternatives are to look at the file locally by setting
something like:

    SCREEN_02=shell

in your lts.conf and then using CTRL-ALT-F2 _on the client_ to get to
the shell, then do your normal CLI stuff after that.

Another way is to use localapps to run something like:

ltsp-localapps xterm

on the client, which should bring up an xterm _from the client_ _on the
client_.

> And I have another basic question: Do the xservers on the LTSP-server
> and the client have to be identical? I guess not, but some sort
> compatibility should be ensured, I suppose? And how about the
> compatibility of the xserver and its drivers: Does it make sense to try
> the xorg-x11-drv-intel from f12 or f14 with the xserver from f13, or is
> that naive and futile?

The xservers don't have to match.  In my case I have a F12 chroot with
an F13 server and entirely different hardware in both and it works fine.
 If there is some major protocol change then you might have some
problems but that has never been an issue for me and I doubt the xorg
guys would let that happen anyway.

I would never try to mix an xorg driver from one distribution with a
server from another.  That will almost certainly not work.  I am just
using the latest stuff in the standard repos.  If you want to be really
bleeding edge try enabling rawhide and upgrading it that way.  However,
the fact that my F12 standard xorg stuff works with the NM10 chipset
says to me that something else is wrong.  Are you sure
xorg-x11-drv-intel is installed in the chroot and not just on the server?

Jeff