[K12OSN] Zotac Zbox realtec network driver missing in Centos5.5

Patrick Fleming k12ltsp at rwcinc.net
Tue Mar 15 14:05:57 UTC 2011

First you need to figure out which driver/module the card needs. I have
done this by running a LiveCD and seeing which modules are loaded using
"lsmod", "lspci" and  "dmesg | grep -i eth" It's been a while so I don't
remember which is the best to use - and it may vary by machine.

Next you have to make sure the module is in your chroot, mine is located
at: /opt/ltsp/i386/lib/modules/2.6.17.8-ltsp-1/kernel/drivers/net/tg3.ko
(For the Tigrent gigbit adapter)

I have a MAC address specific file for the machine that requires this
driver:
/tftpboot/lts/pxe/pxelinux.cfg/01-00-1e-c9-36-5d-f5

prompt 0
label linux
 kernel vmlinuz.ltsp
 append root=/dev/ram0 rw initrd=initramfs.gz NIC=tg3

lts.conf contains these lines:

[00:1E:C9:36:5D:F5]
        MODULE_01 = tg3

I have had to do this for 2 machines so far and expect that to climb as
I replace older machines. Hopefully this is enough to give you a head
start. This was extremely frustrating when I first ran across it - it
took nearly a week to get it figured out.

Patrick