[K12OSN] Slightly OT - Wireless in your school/building

CLIFFORD ILKAY clifford_ilkay at dinamis.com
Tue Mar 15 17:14:23 UTC 2011

On 03/15/2011 12:18 PM, Dan Young wrote:
> Any conversations about health claims regarding EMF are inappropriate
> in this forum, regardless of your feelings on the topic. This is a
> forum for technical discussions regarding open source software in
> education, FULL STOP.
>
> Please stop. Many thanks,

Dan, when I say "you" below, I'm not referring to you specifically. It's
the general "you".

How is it inappropriate to point out that technology someone is
considering deploying might be harmful to human health? I'd submit that
technologists have an obligation to look beyond just the technology and
understand it's implications on human health, too. It's irresponsible to
not consider the humans in these systems, especially when someone has
pointed out, "Hey, this thing might have some adverse health effects."
The decision to deploy WiFi should not just be a decision of vendor A
vs. vendor B and it should not be made just by technologists. If you're
so certain this technology is safe, then advocate for it but have the
integrity to inform all stakeholders of *all* issues, not just the
technical ones. Anyone who has been following this thread now has more
information and this list is publicly archived. If you don't inform your
stakeholders of the potential adverse health effects of WiFi and they
find out, you'll have to explain why you didn't despite having been
informed.
--
Regards,

Clifford Ilkay