[K12OSN] Slightly OT - Wireless in your school/building

Julius Szelagiewicz julius at turtle.com
Wed Mar 16 01:19:35 UTC 2011

I'll bite just this once and no more. The case of peptic ulcers involved
repeatable tests and a proof in the form of a bacterium. The wireless
stuff seems to be done by people with just a passing knowledge of how
science is supposed to be done. As hard as it might be to believe, some
great universities have not so great faculty. The thing to remember is
that many real radiation studies have been done over the decades. Some of
them had funny if true results. As an example I give you the level of
microwave radiation you get at the beach on a sunny day - it exceeds by an
order of magnitude the radiation you get from your cellphone taped to your
skin. The power level of wifi attenuates very quickly. To seriously push a
hypothesis that it is harmful you'd need to be very gullible, say on the
level of
belief in homeopathic medicine. We have all been exposed to lots of
microwave radiation with sources like microwave ovens, microwave
communication, radars and the big elephant in the room - the Sun. let me
put it to you in CS way: it doesn't compute.

julius