[K12OSN] Computer lab needed in Elementary school?

Joseph Bishay joseph.bishay at gmail.com
Thu May 5 17:33:56 UTC 2011

Hello everyone,

We are in the process of building a new elementary school, and one of
the education consultants who specializes in elementary schools has
told us that "modern" elementary schools do not have a need for a
computer lab.  In fact, we were told that our planned computer lab is
detrimental for the school's image and reputation as it is "old
fashion".

To be honest I was very shocked.  While both of us agree that there
should be some computers in each of the classrooms, not having a
dedicated computer lab to me is surprising.  In Ontario there is no
specific curriculum for computers in elementary school but I know that
in my elementary school we did have a lab and used it extensively!

I wanted feedback from those of you in education as to what you think.
 This does affect our planning and budget greatly so I appreciate your
feedback.

Thank you
Joseph