[K12OSN] New Building's LTSP Server

Jeff Siddall news at siddall.name
Thu May 5 20:47:01 UTC 2011

On 05/05/2011 03:17 PM, Julius Szelagiewicz wrote:
> HP smartArray controller and 6 SCSI drives and 2 1GB server class NICs. I
> can see how you can get 10 times the performance in a desktop system, but
> it seems to run into multiple thousands of dollars, without ECC memory,
> without redundant power supplies, without good array controllers, without
> SCSI drives ...

An Intel Core i7 2600 is about 10X the speed of a Xeon 3.2 and is $310
12 GB Corsair DDR3 is $140
An OCZ Vertex 2 120 GB SSD is $220

Definitely not multiple thousands of dollars but still 10X the CPU
performance, 3X the RAM, and a much faster disk.

Want more reliability and double the disk read throughput?  Add a
redundant disk with software RAID1.  That will easily outperform the 6
disk SCSI3 array.

Want 10X the networking performance?  Add a 10 GBaseT NIC for about $500.

Agreed about no ECC and no redundant power but honestly those have never
been big issues for me.  After all, LTSP is all about serving desktops
so desktop reliability doesn't seem so out of line.