[K12OSN] Plans for K12Linux EL6 and Future Fedora

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Wed May 11 23:26:57 UTC 2011

On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 7:18 PM, Warren Togami Jr. <warren at togami.com>wrote:

> On 5/11/2011 1:07 PM, Jim Kinney wrote:
>

>> Monthly power bills are always bad with old crap running. But to add in
>> getting new hardware (spend now + deploy in a few months) PLUS the bad
>> power bills is just not an option for most schools right now. What they
>> that does work is better than what they want that they can't afford to
>> buy without laying off another round of teachers.
>>
>> So we have to find a way to keep that old crap running for them a while
>> longer. So maybe a full release build that will run on i386, no upgraded
>> flags, with a minimal X environment is feasible. Dunno. I've never
>> compiled a full distro before. Maybe it' time I did.
>>

> Reconfiguring and rebuilding all the necessary packages might make it 1000%
> extra work, especially if you try to do so for package updates later, if you
> want to take advantage of bug fixes and driver improvements to improve
> client hardware support.  This may be the infeasible part.

That's why the ONLY way it can work is to have something like a koji system
working on the auto-builds.
The raw assumption is that most things can be built for minimal hardware
with a basic recompile using flags for minimal hardware. So a patch file is
needed but most likely a configuration setting for the mock backend for
koji.

> Warren

James P. Kinney III

- *2011 Noam Chomsky*