[K12OSN] Plans for K12Linux EL6 and Future Fedora

Rob Owens rowens at ptd.net
Thu May 12 12:01:00 UTC 2011

Warren has already recommended Debian as a viable alternative for folks
on this list.  I can understand wanting to stick with Fedora and CentOS
if that's what you know best.  How about this:

Use Debian as the LTSP server that boots up your thin clients.  Then,
using the "next server" option in dhcpd.conf, get your GUI from a Fedora
or CentOS server of your choice.  (Assuming that functionality is still
present in recent Fedora and CentOS).  Or... Use VNC or something similar to
connect from a stripped-down Debian thin client to a machine of your
choice.

Both of these solutions give you the easy management of LTSP, with the
Fedora/CentOS/other user experience you might be looking for.  These
solutions only add one extra server to your system, and it can be a
really, really low end system if all it's going to do is PXE boot your
thin clients.

Or you could just use Debian like Warren mentioned.  I use it, and it
works nicely.  The LTSP package manager for Debian is easy to get in
touch with on the ltsp-discuss mailing list.

-Rob