[K12OSN] Plans for K12Linux EL6 and Future Fedora

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu May 12 16:35:50 UTC 2011

On 5/12/2011 7:44 AM, Warren Togami Jr. wrote:
> On 5/11/2011 4:18 PM, Les Mikesell wrote:
>>
>> Would it be more feasible to use DRBL as the PXE boot manager and
>> custom-tune some small linux distro (like Puppy) that it could boot from
>> an iso image? That would divorce the server/client builds completely and
>> perhaps offer a way to run different versions on different clients. It
>> wants to put the whole image in RAM on the client so it might be an
>> exercise in trimming out all unneeded programs. On the plus side you
>> might be able to build a USB or CD boot, NX client version of the same
>> image that would be perfect for wifi clients without much extra effort.
>>

> A Debian-based chroot for /opt/ltsp/i386 would likely be the easiest to
> deploy as the client OS. It would be minimal additional work.
>
> I suppose I'll make a i686 EL6 /opt/ltsp/i386 the standard, and you can
> optionally download a tarball containing the same thing but from Debian
> if you need to support old hardware.

Could this possibly be done as a script that scarfs the needed items
from a debian or ubuntu livecd or iso file (with or without wrapping it
as an intermediate rpm)?  The idea would be to minimize the repeated
work as the alternate distro updates and to offer a choice of debian for
anyone who cares about including non-free firmware or ubuntu for devices
that need it.  The differences come up once in a while regarding
clonezilla-live and are likely to affect thin clients too.

Or even better, let multiple client roots exist if it's not too much
trouble to control the default.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com