[K12OSN] Pledge Drive for K12Linux EL6

Warren Togami Jr. warren at togami.com
Tue May 17 02:14:55 UTC 2011

Hi Folks,

I am capable of making an EL6-based LTSP.  But I have significant doubts
that this community is worthwhile to create this software suite.  Even
years ago when LTSP was more relevant, I completely failed to recruit
additional volunteers to help develop Fedora LTSP.  Furthermore I am now
reminded how thankless this job is, where I receive mostly grief and
unrealistic expectations from people who contribute nothing.

So here's the deal.  I am willing to do this project in phases if we
have a combination of donations and volunteers willing to write formal
documentation.

Phase I: Feasibility Assessment
===============================
If this community makes donations totaling $250, I am willing to begin
the feasibility assessment portion of this project.  I will do some
development only to the point of knowing if the EL6 base is feasible at
all.  If it isn't feasible, then the donation can be returned.

Phase II: Development of EL6 Native for EPEL6 Inclusion
An additional $500 will commence development.  The goal of this portion
is to make the Server and Client based on unmodified EL6.  This would be
suitable for inclusion in EPEL6.

Server Side: GNOME 2, Firefox, Thunderbird, Evolution, OpenOffice suite.
Client Side: Supported hardware would be anything i686 with PAE.

Phase III: Release Install Media, Develop Alternate Client OS
I will release the full install media with an additional $500 donation.
  Thereafter I will commence development of an alternative non-PAE i686
kernel and optional Debian /opt/ltsp/i386 to enable older client hardware.

Phase IV: Software Updates through Year 2012
$500 will enable a good faith effort to fix bugs, software updates in
the EL6 LTSP stream, and refreshed EL6.1 or EL6.2 based LTSP install
media through the end of year 2012.

Tax Deductible
==============
To prove that this isn't about personal enrichment but rather proving
that the community will support this development, the full amount of
these donations will go toward a particular 501(c)3 charity organization
of my choosing.  American donors may be able to benefit from a tax
deduction.

These are the conditions under which I am willing to spend my time on
this cause.  If you are interested in making a donation, you may reply
on this list or contact me directly.

Warren Togami
warren at togami.com