[K12OSN] K12Linux EL6 Preliminary Feasibility Assessment

Burke Almquist burke at thealmquists.net
Sat May 21 05:51:54 UTC 2011

On May 21, 2011, at 12:37 AM, Terrell Prude' Jr. wrote:

>>> +1.  All my thin clients are now PII's (i686's) or PIII's.  The i686 architecture has now been out for just over 15 years, since the Pentium Pro.  If you want to run new software, an upgrade isn't inappropriate to expect.  And K12LTSP 5EL still ain't "broke".  It still works just as well as it did when Eric Harrison first released it.  Seriously, what's the problem here?
>>>

>> How much longer is EL5 supported for?
>>

> Till 2014.  We've got 3 more years.

I guess my question is, who on the list is still using clients that aren't i686?
How many of them do you have, what are they, how long do you plan to keep using them, and are they even powerful enough for LTSP5?
Is lack of i586 support a deal breaker for anyone on the list, especially those who have pledged, or are considering pledging to this project?