[K12OSN] New Building's LTSP Server

Jeff Siddall news at siddall.name
Thu May 5 17:53:28 UTC 2011

On 05/05/2011 12:27 PM, Julius Szelagiewicz wrote:
> Joe, you are mistaken. I'm about to build some fax servers (don't ask) and
> I'm looking at $199.00 servers. For example:
> http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=DL380-XEON3200X2-4R&cat=SVR
>
> There's a lot of good cheap hardware out there. If I were to make one of
> those baies into an LTSP server, I'd add a SATA controller and external
> SATA drives. YMMV.

I would say there is a lot of cheap hardware out there but I would argue
it is not good.

That $199 server has CPUs that perform about the same as an Atom 330 so
using that is like deploying an LTSP server on a netbook!

A decent _new_ desktop system has more than 10X the performance, more
than 10X the storage and likely 4X the RAM of that server.  Getting a
server that can keep up with that performance will cost $$$ thousands.