[K12OSN] New thin client recommendations

David Hopkins dahopkins429 at gmail.com
Fri May 6 14:37:30 UTC 2011

After 8 years, we are looking to upgrade/replace a lot of our older
Epia Eden 533's.  This is being driven by the need for better local
apps and local capabilities, which implies (at least to me) fat
clients.  I've seen quite a bit of discussion about using Atom-based
systems for thin clients on the list. However, I have no idea what the
current thinking is with respect to a solution that will be viable for
at least another 3-5.

Local needs are for browsing (easy), local sound/music applications,
streaming video (flash and other formats).  We have a centralized ldap
authentication and NFS file servers.  I've looked at DRBL but still
feel that the capabilities of LTSP6 are very similar now to DRBL with
fat client options.

Any advice on what thin clients/fat clients with very small form
factors (attach to the back of LCD monitors is ideal) is greatly
appreciated.

Sincerely,
Dave Hopkins
Newark Charter School
Newark Delaware

p.s good to see that the list is still active although I haven't been
posting to it much in the last year or so.