[K12OSN] Plans for K12Linux EL6 and Future Fedora

Warren Togami Jr. warren at togami.com
Sun May 8 23:03:59 UTC 2011

On 5/8/2011 8:49 AM, Charlie wrote:
> If Terminal Services is not a part of Red Hat's RHEL6 core business
> strategy, there won't be any consideration given LTSP when making
> updates or changes to RHEL6. K12Linux was a major disappointment due to
> this very reason. Without a firm commitment from Red Hat, I don't see
> LTSPv5 on RHEL6 ever being a viable reality.

This is a bit of an overstatement.  I personally made sure that the
technology in RHEL6 would be capable of supporting legacy LTSP no worse
than previous versions of Fedora.  RHEL6 contains GNOME 2 which works
fine with LTSP and remote desktops.  The ONLY major issue is the 32bit
i686 minimum arch which excludes the vast majority of past LTSP client
hardware.

NOTE: I no longer work for Red Hat.

> In MHO, I would think it would be more wise for Red Hat to seriously
> invest in Terminal Services as much as or more than they have in VDI.
> They could overcome a large part of the limitations of multimedia
> through optimizations made to the remote desktop protocols like SPICE,
> and how buffering and bandwidth are managed and utilized between the
> server and the thin client.

I don't dispute that VDI has significant penetration, but the harsh
truth is the LTSP approach to Terminal Servers has NEVER made any money
for anybody.  Ubuntu has tried and failed to sell support contracts for
LTSP as a business model.  It is a fantasy to believe that the old
Terminal Server model makes business sense for anyone.

Warren