[K12OSN] New thin client recommendations

Jeff Siddall news at siddall.name
Mon May 9 14:58:01 UTC 2011

On 05/09/2011 10:45 AM, Les Mikesell wrote:
> On 5/9/2011 8:57 AM, Jeff Siddall wrote:
>> On 05/07/2011 01:43 PM, David Hopkins wrote:
>>> I am currently using Edubuntu 9.10 and will move to either CentOS 6
>>> with LTSP 5.2 or Edubuntu latest version over the summer, depending on
>>> what is available.
>>
>> Hmmm... Not sure about edubuntu but I always found Ubuntu's kernels were
>> awfully old -- really that is the main reason I went to Fedora in the
>> first place!
>
> I've always looked at kernels as standardized interfaces to hardware and
> don't see much reason to change until the hardware is replace with
> something unsupported (other than bug fixes which are more likely to be
> done correctly for old versions than new ones that will bring new bugs).
>  What new kernel features can't you live without?

Exactly: "..the hardware is replace with something unsupported..."

Ubuntu didn't have the drivers for my hardware whereas Fedora did.
Simple as that.

In this case the issue was xorg drivers, but I have also had issues with
video capture/decoded cards, LAN cards, wireless cards, touchscreens etc.

Jeff