[K12OSN] Plans for K12Linux EL6 and Future Fedora

Jan Middelkoop jan at recreatie-zorg.nl
Fri May 13 14:06:45 UTC 2011

Dear list,

Gavin attended me to this mailing list in #ltsp.  I didn't know of it's
existance before.  For the past few days I've been eargerly following
the discussion going on here about the future of LTSP in RHEL and (more
importantly, to me) Fedora.

Eagerly, because I've recently deployed Fedora-powered LTSP terminal
server and clients in our company and I would be very, very sad if it
were discontinued so soon.  It's more than that though.  I also firmly
believe that a project like LTSP is a wonderful piece of software and
deserves to be a part of Fedora.

For lack of knowledge I cannot join in on the debate about if LTSP and
remote X is technically a good solution and if there couldn't be better
ones.  I do however think it seems premature to drop LTSP support in
Fedora.  I don't think Fedora currently contains a piece of software
that provides the same ease of use and functionality as LTSP (correct me
if I'm wrong).

I believe LTSP brings unique functionality to Fedora.  One thing I
haven't heard an alternative for in the debate going on now, is running
applications locally on the clients, yet integrating them nicely into
the desktop environment.  Something LTSP does, with remote X.  This
functionality is vital for our company.  We use VoIP softphones for our
telephony needs.  When I run a softphone on the LTSP server, it simply
doesn't work flawless (I've tried most, if not all).  There are too many
problems with the audio.  When I run the softphone locally on the
clients (cutting out the middle man), most work flawless.  I cannot see
softphones performing well in a virtualized environment.

I am not one to stand in the way of forward thinking and/or new
technological endeavours.  I think the idea put forth by Warren could
have merit.  I think running every client inside a virtualized
environment will use a lot of extra resources, but this should not be a
problem with the next generation of hardware.  However I don't believe
we are there yet.  I think LTSP is still a great solution for creating
centralized management and centralized resources for all client
computers in a company.

I would also like to give a short response to Warren's point about the
lack of people who contribute to this project.

I try to spend around ten hours per week supporting open source
development, in one way or another.  I have written documentation,
translated packages to Dutch (including LDM at one point), submitted
bugs and bugfixes, and yet... somehow I've never gotten involved with
K12Linux.  Why?  Because K12Linux seems distanced from Fedora.  In fact,
for a long time I've had the impression that K12Linux was a Linux
distribution by itself, having LTSP readily configured for Fedora.  As I
have no interest in that, and just want LTSP in regular Fedora, I've
never gotten involved.  I think this project could be presented better
and explained better to Fedora LTSP users.  This could lead to more
people getting involved.

As another example I would like to point out that Gavin has had working
RPM's of a recent LTSP version for Fedora 13 and Fedora 14 for over half
a year now.  They've been tested by many people and the results were
very promising.  Yet they still aren't distributed with those Fedora
releases.  Why?  These seem like the contributions from the community
you have been looking for, and they're left 'out in the rain', so to speak.

These are my $0,02 on the whole situation.  I really hope Gavin will
find the time and inspiration to continue building LTSP for Fedora, and
that he will be supported by everyone in doing so.  I know I will
support LTSP under Fedora in any way that I can.

Kindest regards,
Jan Middelkoop