[K12OSN] Plans for K12Linux EL6 and Future Fedora

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri May 13 17:22:23 UTC 2011

On 5/13/2011 11:50 AM, Rob Owens wrote:
> I made a mistake.  "next server" in dhcpd.conf is not correct.  If you
> specify "SERVER=somefedoraserver" in lts.conf on a separate LTSP
> Debian box, you could provide a remote Fedora experience as long as Fedora
> supports remote X.  If remote X is not supported, then maybe a screen
> script could be made for VNC, NX, or something similar.
>
> But I think Warren's suggestions of simply making a Debian chroot on a
> Fedora/RHEL/CentOS machine makes more sense.  Am I wrong, or would you
> just need to get Debian's ltsp-build-client to work on Fedora/RHEL?

You need this step to be able to find the debian kernel (etc.) to
include, then save the results where the fedora/RHEL (etc.) host can use
it as the boot image and nfs export to the client.  I think there should
be some way to use a foreign-OS liveCD or image as the source so you
could update without needing a fully installed copy, but don't know
exactly what LTSP5 needs there. If it includes everything the client
side executes, you'd be able to run a 64-bit host OS and support 32-bit
clients.  Maybe if the debian/ubuntu/fedora packager were the same, the
client chroot could be packaged individually and the debian/ubuntu
flavors included for fedora, but you need some sort of update plan to
handle security fixes, support for new hardware, etc.

It would also be handy to have a USB-boot version of the same thing plus
a similar version that loads an NX client to use in situations where PXE
booting doesn't work and/or you have limited bandwidth.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com