[K12OSN] Plans for K12Linux EL6 and Future Fedora

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri May 13 20:24:29 UTC 2011

On 5/13/2011 2:53 PM, Rob Owens wrote:

> I don't think you'd need a liveCD or anything (unless I'm
> misunderstanding your intent).  The way it works on Debian is the chroot
> gets built from debs that come from the Debian repository.  It can be
> done with just an internet connection.

If all the contents of the chroot and kernel are included as opposed to
a script that builds it from the host versions of the files, that would
work fine.

> Assuming you can get the gpg trust thing worked out, a "yum install
> ltsp" could grab the debs it needs from the Debian repository and
> construct the chroot.  It could be as simple as importing the Debian
> keyring into the keyring of "root" on the Fedora system.  I think that
> keyring is located in the Debian package "debian-archive-keyring".  I'm
> not sure if the Debian keyring even needs to be known by the Fedora
> system, or if it only needs to be known in the chroot.

I don't know much about the debian way of packaging.  It is different
enough that yum isn't going to do it natively, but there are tools to
extract the contents or convert to other formats (alien?).

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com