[K12OSN] $275 of $750 Pledged Re: Pledge Drive for K12Linux EL6

Warren Togami Jr. warren at togami.com
Tue May 17 20:36:49 UTC 2011

(Oops, I fail at math.  That is $275 pledged so far.)

On 5/17/2011 6:09 AM, Steven Santos wrote:
> I will pledge $50 towards this.
>
> Warren, how much would it cost me to get you to make EL6LTSP default
> to an LDAP server w/client option as the user back end?

I am not fully versed in LDAP integration, but I suspect that it is a
matter of standard system administration involving the LTSP server using
a designated LDAP server as the authentication source, and mounting
/home over the network to share the common home directories.  This can
be fragile and/or insecure if not configured properly, and it is outside
the scope of what LTSP provides.

If you cannot figure out how to deploy that type of network yourself
from documentation/books, then you may need to hire a Linux consultant
to configure it properly for your organization.  I may know Linux
experts in your area (I used to work from the Westford, MA Red Hat office).

How big is your deployment?  Do you already have a LDAP server and NFS
server with all the home directories?

Warren Togami
warren at togami.com