[K12OSN] K12Linux EL6 Preliminary Feasibility Assessment

Terrell Prude' Jr. microman at cmosnetworks.com
Sat May 21 16:22:47 UTC 2011

Jeff Siddall wrote:
> On 05/21/2011 12:52 AM, Burke Almquist wrote:
>
>> I know the clients I use are 10+ year old Dell PIIIs. It if you are relying on used PCs, it shouldn't be too hard to find some old P4 or PIII based PCs.
>> The only concern would be 4-5? year old thin clients that had VIA or some other processors that didn't yet have i686 support.
>> I guess there's alway EL5 and LTSP 4.2 or Ubuntu/Debian for these.
>>

> Keep in mind that only the early C3's were i586.  Everything Via has
> made since the Nehemiah architecture released in 2003 (8 years ago) has
> been i686.
>
> Jeff

And thus, by the time K12LTSP 5EL support finally ends, those i586's
will be 11 years old.  At a certain point, yes, it is time to get newer
stuff if you want to run the latest software.  Remember that newer thin
clients also tend to have better video chips, which a lot of EDU apps
demand (Flash, HTML5, etc.).

I think we should remember to focus on the bigger picture here.  We
already have K12LTSP 5EL today, which works great and is not going to
disappear tomorrow.  The goal now is to get a K12Linux 6EL distro
running LTSP 5.  Now, if it were easy for Warren to include i586 in
there, I'd say sure, but it sounds like it'll be a fair amount of extra
effort that could be aimed at "more critical" things, i. e. getting a
K12Linux 6EL distro working at all.  :-)

--TP