[K12OSN] java intensive websites

Brian Fristensky bfristen at shaw.ca
Tue May 24 21:20:23 UTC 2011

I tried this site. Browsing in SeaMonkey was fast. When I tried to
launch simulations, JavaWebStart appeared to run, but no app ever popped
up. I was able to download
the jar files and run apps on the server, displaying on the TC, which
worked well.
(This is using LTSP5 on Fedora 13, 64-bit server and i686 TC).

Network speed and server capacity aside, my experience with Java Web
Start has been mixed. It has often been a flaky way to run applications.
If there are specific programs you want students to run, it's probably
more reliable to download the jar files to a world-readable directory
and let them run them from there.

Brian Fristensky

Robert Arkiletian wrote:
> On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 11:08 AM, Barry Cisna
> <cisna-barry at wc235.k12.il.us>  wrote:
>
>> This is somewhat of a re posting from something I posted quite sometime
>> back. Has anyone ever come up with a good thin client in the k12ltsp
>> environment that works good with java intensive web sites.
>> Case in point. If I try and browse searchtempest.com which is a crawler
>>
> Another site that *is* educational and is Java heavy is
> http://phet.colorado.edu/en/simulations/category/new

Brian Fristensky
971 Somerville Avenue
Winnipeg MB R3T 1B4 CANADA