Re: [K12OSN] Guidance on troubleshooting - new RHEL6 + LTSP won't PXE

On 23.11.2011 16:11, Shawn Wells wrote:

Per the instructions I configured ltspbr0 and tried to PXE boot the
VM which is acting as the thin client... no luck.  My config is just
two VMs for testing purposes.

I receive the following error:
PXE-E51: No DHCP or proxyDHCP offers were received.

<snip>

After failing to PXE boot I loaded an OS on the thin client and was
able to ping 172.31.100.254, so it doesn't appear to be a connectivity
issue.

So, your clients in "fat mode" can get a DHCP address, but PXE clients cannot?

I went ahead and rebooted my server, then tried to PXE again. No dice.

I ensured DHCP is running and listening for connections:
# chkconfig --list | grep dhcp
ltsp-dhcp	0:off	1:off	2:on	3:on	4:on	5:on	6:off

# service ltsp-dhcp status
dhcpd (pid 1920) is running...

$ netstat -an | fgrep -w 67
udp	0	0.0.0.0:67	0.0.0.0:*

If dhcpd is running, have you checked to make sure it's listening on the right network interface? Tcpdump may be your friend here.

I then ensured tftp was running and enabled

Your problem is before TFTP.

I'm sorry I'm not much help here. In my case, I'm not using the LTSP server as the DHCP or network router/nat; my clients are on my internal network just like any other host, receiving dhcp addresses from my network's existing DHCP server. I'm not completely sure I understand the ltspbr0 function.

-Josh

       Joshua Malone       Systems Administrator
     (jmalone nrao edu)    NRAO Charlottesville
        434-296-0263           www.nrao.edu
        434-249-5699 (mobile)

BOFH excuse #427: network down, IP packets delivered via
UPS