[K12OSN] Change plymouth theme on client?

Jeff Siddall news at siddall.name
Fri Nov 25 03:07:02 UTC 2011

I created a new plymouth theme that I want to use on my SL6.1 thin
clients.  In the chroot I ran plymouth-set-default-theme and it reports
that the new theme is the default.  However, when the client boots it
still shows the standard SL6 two-step theme.  Interestingly, if I give
it the three finger salute from a text console while with the LDM login
screen up it _does_ show my new theme while restarting so it seems the
theme itself is OK.

I am guessing the bootup plymouth stuff is loaded in the initramfs.  I
tried running dracut inside the chroot but it bombed with an error about
not finding /lib/modules/2.6.32-131.12.1.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for getting the bootup
plymouth to use the new theme also?

Thanks,

Jeff