[K12OSN] Change plymouth theme on client?

Warren Togami Jr. warren at togami.com
Sun Nov 27 20:07:57 UTC 2011

On 11/24/2011 5:07 PM, Jeff Siddall wrote:
> I created a new plymouth theme that I want to use on my SL6.1 thin
> clients. In the chroot I ran plymouth-set-default-theme and it reports
> that the new theme is the default. However, when the client boots it
> still shows the standard SL6 two-step theme. Interestingly, if I give it
> the three finger salute from a text console while with the LDM login
> screen up it _does_ show my new theme while restarting so it seems the
> theme itself is OK.
>
> I am guessing the bootup plymouth stuff is loaded in the initramfs. I
> tried running dracut inside the chroot but it bombed with an error about
> not finding /lib/modules/2.6.32-131.12.1.

Did you try ltsp-rewrap-latest-kernel within the chroot?  That runs
dracut with the desired parameters.

> Can anyone point me in the right direction for getting the bootup
> plymouth to use the new theme also?

After the initramfs inside the chroot is regenerated, run
ltsp-update-kernels ON THE HOST which copy from your chroot's /boot to
your tftp directories.

If you get this working, could you write a short guide on how you did
it?  This would be great for others in the community to learn how to
customize their own boot images.

Warren