[K12OSN] Problems loading Kernel on new install

Barry R Cisna brcisna at eazylivin.net
Sun Oct 23 12:10:43 UTC 2011

Steve,

A couple things to verify on your server to TC.

1)  Run the following command     netstat -nlp | grep 1067

You should get a return of    ,
udp        0      0 0.0.0.0:1067   0.0.0.0:*
2030/dhcpd

2)   Are you using a simple 8 port - unmanaged - switch in your
setup?

3) If both of this test positive, do you have another old box/TC you can
try with even something as archane as an etherboot floppy built for port
1067. I used to use this setup back in the day.

4) At the server console run command
tail -f /var/log/messages
,then try booting a TC  and copy / paste  the output here.

Below works on Centos 5.x.
We have two servers running on port 1067 at two different buildings.

(Sidenote: There was some  version were the dhcp port option
configuration changed in the ISC dhcpd build but has been some time
back.
It is possible the dhcpd configuration setup has changed again since
CentOS 5.x to what you are running now, keep in mind. )

Example:
On CentOS 5 the port 1067 port modification needs to be placed at
your /etc/rc.d/init.d/dhcp  (startup script)

1) The very first line in your dhcp init script should  be ,  *after*
chkconfig  *****   should be

DHCPORT="1067"

#That's all that needs added.  One line.

2) In the dhcpd-k12ltsp.conf  file should have appended the option -128
& option -129 as you have posted in your own posts for each TC
seperatly.

You do not need anything placed at any of the sysconfig/dhcp files
FYI.These files should be left default.

Let us know if you make any progress.

Take Care,
Barry