[K12OSN] Problems loading Kernel on new install

Steve skerr at rx30.com
Thu Oct 27 12:33:24 UTC 2011

actually I have .. eventually

I noticed you made a notation that there were bugs with CentOS6, so I
went and installed a fresh copy of SL6.1

I followed the instructions to setup the EL6 root. I only have a single
nic in the box I'm using as a server, Dell precision T3500,
but set it up to act like the second nic, the TC network nic. set the
interface to include the bridge statement as per instruction.

I'm using the stock /etc/ltsp/dhcpd.conf and
/var/lib/tftpboot/ltsp/lts.conf files. I'm using ltsp-dhcpd on standard
port 67. Im using the default
172. address scheme.

I was going thru a managed switch, but now have my one year old Dell
inspiron laptop connected directly to the server and pxe boot.

It will find the server, get an address in the range given in
dhcpd.conf. It will load the kernel.ie; "dracut: Starting Plymouth
daemon", then  see
about 50 lines of my laptops hardware detected, but it will not load the
root.

I get a dracut warning  "No root device "dhcp" found".  I went into
pxelinux.cfg/default and  added rdshell to the initrd line. I also
played around with
root line trying some different things to no avail. I also copied the
root-path statement in the nested if loop and pasted it under the next
server statement in dhcp.conf
just to be sure its seen.

It seems that I have the same basic problem I was having before. I just,
for some reason, cannot mount the chroot.
(Almost) All my earlier attempts using the jammins and CentOS6 would end
with dracut warnings.

There doesnt seem to be any noticeable change at all if I try using nbd.
( tried with Fedora 11 root. I have both installed, /opt/ltsp/fed11-i386
and /opt/ltsp/i386 )

I must be doing something fundamentally wrong somewhere, but dont know
what. Im sitting here at a debug shell plotting my next move.