[K12OSN] Success with running LTSP from Fedora 15

Kent Schumacher kent at structural-wood.com
Fri Oct 28 12:30:34 UTC 2011

On 10/26/2011 11:22 PM, Warren Togami Jr. wrote:
> On 10/17/2011 7:02 AM, Kent Schumacher wrote:
>> I just successfully booted both an Atom based Shuttle XS35 and and an
>> old Diskless Workstations LTSP-150 from a Fedora 15 installation.
>>
>> On first login I received a complaint that Gnome 3 wasn't able to run,
>> but when that was dismissed I was left with a reasonably functional
>> desktop.
>>
>> I've tried running Firefox 7.01 and LibreOffice 3.3.3 and they both work
>> well. Firefox 7 is noticeably faster than the Firefox 3 I was running
>> from Fedora 11 on the same hardware.
>>
>> The highlights of how to do it are:
>>
>> 1) Modify /etc/sysconfig/ltspdist to allow install on F15
>> 2) ltsp-build-client --release 14
>> 3) ltsp-build-client --release 11 --chroot ltsp-f11
>>
>> It would be good if I didn't need to modify ltspdist. I'll write up
>> complete instructions if anyone is interested.
>>
>> I'm very happy to be able to be running Fedora 15. It's nice to have the
>> latest Firefox and LibreOffice.
>
> OK... I'll add this as an option in the next release so folks wont need
> to edit files to install a Fedora 14 client chroot on Fedora 15 or 16
> LTSP server.
>
> Warren

I just returned from vacation and found this great news - thanks Warren!

This will really help in continuing to use LTSP at the company I work
at.  We've been running into websites demanding a very recent release of
firefox, so being able to run off a distro that is always at the cutting
edge is necessary for us.

(To the people who asked me for a writeup - with Warren adding this as
part of the package, no writeup will be needed).

Thanks again - Kent