[K12OSN] wireless support

Jeff Siddall news at siddall.name
Wed Oct 5 16:11:37 UTC 2011

On 10/05/2011 10:46 AM, Barry Cisna wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> Has there been any advancements,,on wireless support built into the
> latest spin of K12LTSP that is being beta'd right now, for TC's?
> It seems to me at this point it is imperative to have wireless support
> for at least some of the tried and trued wireless 'g' and possibly 'n'
> wifi nics.
> Has anyone on the board here tried toying with TC wireless lately?

I would generally consider WiFi inadequate for LTSP use personally but
if your requirements/expectations are modest it may work.  I suspect
that is why there is no support currently for WiFi clients.

The bootloader (wireless equivalent to PXE -- if such a thing exists)
would be where most of the work would be and that is outside the scope
of LTSP.

The client initrd would presumably need to know how to configure the
wireless drivers to take control of the network after the bootloader has
gotten the kernel and initrd to the client successfully and that
presumably would fall inside the scope of LTSP.

Jeff