[K12OSN] Problems loading Kernel on new install

Warren Togami Jr. warren at togami.com
Fri Oct 28 05:38:29 UTC 2011

On 10/27/2011 12:03 PM, Steve wrote:

> On 10/27/2011 12:26 AM, Warren Togami Jr. wrote:
>> More likely the Geode GX2 in the Jammin-125 is just too old and broken
>> to work with the Fedora 11 kernel.
>
> My main goal is to upgrade my kickstart to CentOS 6 and I need to be
> able to support many many
> hundreds of legacy jammins. I originally tried to bolt my existing LTSP
> solution onto cent 6 but the jammins
> are having a hard time loading X. they'll ,sometimes, get to a login
> screen then freeze, if they accept input at all.
> They seem ok at console.
>
> well, looks like the jammin has an RTL8139 nic, pretty well supported I
> would think. dont think my no nic support
> in EL6 kernel theory holds water.

SL6 kernel will not support the Jammin's.  F11 *maybe*.

Your best bet might be to install a very old LTSPv4 and grab its
/opt/ltsp/i386 and /tftpboot/ files, use that to boot your Jammin's, and
have them XDMCP into the server.  That will require modifying the gdm
configuration manually.  I think this means you wont have sound or
remote USB storage.

Warren